The Brooks Atkinson Theater was opened in 1926 under the name The Mansfield Theatre. It was one of six venues built by the Chanin Brothers and designed by Herbert J. Krapp.
In 1960, current owner Michael Myerberg named the theater after The New York Times critic Brooks Atkinson. This was the first time that a legitimate Broadway theater had been named after a theater critic. It is now owned by the Nederlander Organization, which has recently renovated the venue.