The Winter Garden theatre was built by the Shubert Brothers in 1911. The theater was then completely remodeled by famed Broadway architect Herbert J. Krapp in the 1920s. The building features a larger-than-normal stage, which is adjacent to 50th Street, and the entrance leads in from Broadway.
The theater’s previous tenant Cats was its most successful and longest running show. It remains property of the Shubert Organization.