Here’s a piece of Glee casting news to get excited about: Adam Lambert is joining the cast of the FOX hit for its upcoming fifth season, according to co-creator Ryan Murphy.
"I am thrilled to announce that the super talented Adam Lambert is joining the cast of Glee this fall," series creator Murphy tweeted. Lambert tweeted back, “I’m so excited!! ;)”
Lambert is best known as the runner-up on American Idol’s eighth season. Since then, he has released two albums, For Your Entertainment and Trespassing. His stage credits include Wicked (in Los Angeles), The Ten Commandments, The Zodiac Show and Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.
No word yet on what role Lambert will play on the musical-centric show, but here are our top five suggestions:
1. A hot new teacher at McKinley High, a la Ricky Martin or Idina Menzel
2. Vocal coach of a rival glee club, a la Jonathan Groff or Cheyenne Jackson
3. The new editor of Vogue.com (sorry SJP!), where he and Kurt (Chris Colfer) can take fashion flexible to the next level.
4. An older love interest for Blaine (Darren Criss). (Think of the romantic duets!)
5. Nicky Arnstein in the fictional revival of Funny Girl starring Rachel (Lea Michele).
Check out the video below to see Lambert performing “As Long As You're Mine” from Wicked with Julie Reiber at a 2007 West Coast press event.