Eugene O'Neill Theatre

230 West 49th Street
New York, NY 10019
View on Map

About the Venue

Designed by architect Herbert J. Krapp, it was built for the Shuberts as part of a theatre-hotel complex named for 19th century tragedian Edwin Forrest. The Forrest Theatre opened on November 24, 1925, with the musical Mayflowers as its premiere production. In 1959 it was rechristened the O'Neill in honor of the American playwright.

The house can accommodate up to 1,200 patrons, making it adaptable for the presentations of dramas or musical comedies. The theater has been home to such hits as Big River, Spring Awakening and the long running The Book of Mormon.


Bar offering soft drinks, water, wine, beer and basic mixed drinks. They also offer some snacks, which are allowed into the theater. Drinks are also allowed as long as they are in a closed container.

Know Before You Go

Located at street level.
Water Fountain
Water available from the bar.
Hearing Assistance
Assistive listening devices are popular with patrons who cannot hear well, and these are usually available at the theater upon arrival.
Elevators and Escalators
There are no elevators or escalators at this theater.
Wheelchair Access
Wheelchair seating available. Theatre is not completely wheelchair accessible. There are no steps to the designated wheelchair seating.
Womens and Mens: Lower lounge. Down nineteen steps then up two steps into restroom.
Accessible Seating
Womens and Mens: Lower lounge. Down nineteen steps then up two steps into restroom.
Coat Check
This theater offers coat check.

Now Playing

The Book of Mormon

The nine-time Tony Award-winning Best Musical.

from $71.58
Back to Top